Major League Baseball opening day – live chat

Home Forums Public Forums General Discussion Major League Baseball opening day – live chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Keymaster

Hey all,

Happy opening day! As a way to kick off our Baseball Films journey, we are starting off with a live chat. Just like we did with Awards Season for the Oscars, we’re going to do it here on the message board.

Many of the games are going to start later this afternoon. There are quite a few games today, although the Braves/Phillies and Brewers/Mets are postponed. The “official” start time for this chat will be 4pm. But feel free to start earlier.

With baseball we expect a little trash talk, but let’s keep it playful. Let’s start out with your favorite team. Please let us know who you root for and what you expect from them this season. A bonus would be any film connections.

Chris Mohan
    Participant

Happy baseball season start everyone!
    It’s the ultimate test of time zone for me, and I lost most of my twenties to exactly this passion but hopeful of a decent Guardians run this year. Pitching will be strong as usual but we’ll have to see if we can generate enough runs elsewhere. Obvious film connections for my team 😀

Rodney Wade
    Participant

Let’s go Nats! I’m a Washingtonian, so I’ve been a Nationals fan since they returned to D.C. Our projection is last place and if you are a betting person, we’re a +10000 dog to win the division (bet 100 and win 10,000). Even though it’s 1/5, I’m not taking those odds.

In Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, they mention the Nats. It’s a pretty terrible film, but Cobie Smulders gets in a cab and the taxi driver is wearing a Nationals’ hat. She asks if he’s a Nats’ fan. He replies, “Yeah, from the beginning.”

This was in 2016, so he’s been a fan for a whole 11 years. Not sure if you can say “since the beginning” proudly of a team that was a year older than a decade. But it’s a reference and I’ll take it! We won the series in 2019, I’ll take that too.

So glad to have baseball back.

Rodney Wade
    Participant

Chris how did you feel about the rebrand? I had the same situation with my football team and I’m curious to how you’ve responded. Have you bought and Guardian gear? Are you happy with the change?

Aaron
    Keymaster

Major League arrives next Tuesday for me, Chris. That’s a big one for you guys. Been a long time since I’ve seen it, so looking forward. I’m not as familiar with the Guardians now but I think you have some good hitters.

Aaron
    Keymaster

Not long in the league, but at least you got a meme with the Natinals uniform typo. As for worst in the division, it’s way too early, although I wouldn’t take that bet.

Rodney Wade
    Participant

That’s a great meme. Regardless of projections, I’ll be watching. I love Davey Martinez.

Aaron
    Keymaster

Bringing it back to baseball and film since I’ll be watching Ohtani later, but I heard that they expect a quick investigation into his betting scandal. What’s interesting is that his 30 for 30 documentary, which I highly recommend, has the interpreter featured prominently. Very lengthy relationship. I’m curious where this goes and don’t want to speculate, but the fact that this person would steal from him was very strange.

Chris Mohan
    Participant

@Rodney I’m a Commanders fan as well so I have lots of experience with the rebrand. I struggle with the Commanders one a lot more than the Guardians one if I’m honest, mainly due to the recent history. I feel (in both cases actually) that it’s a new franchise – when I look at my old jerseys and helmet etc, it doesn’t equate to this team. A superbowl win might fix that and well… the Guardians win would be even more of a miracle.

I haven’t bought any of the rebranded gear, always tough to get over here, but I doubt anyone would ever know the difference. 😀

Aaron
    Keymaster

Had a sidebar with my wife, who I think most of you know is Native American. I don’t want to speak for her so I asked. I do know that she doesn’t think a team name really makes an impact on the lives of Native Americans. I’m a Braves fan and don’t care for the tomahawk chop, but it doesn’t bother her. She doesn’t think people are being racist. Most probably don’t know the context.

That said, if people are offended then I’m not bothered by changing either team name. My memory was that more native americans were offended by the Redskins name because that’s a slur, but I can’t quantify that.

Rodney Wade
    Participant

Glad to hear I’m in good company! I think a winning season would fix a lot of things. I have good friends who love the Guardians, so I have a soft spot for them.

Jill Blake
    Keymaster

Happy Opening Day, everyone!

I’m watching the Yankees-Astros game now (both are YUCK) because our Braves game has been postponed until tomorrow. (BOO!)

@Chris– You’re in NI, right? Is there a channel that airs games or do you have to do the VPN thing? And how did you come to be a Cleveland fan?

Aaron
    Keymaster

The Dodgers are going to be tough. Already 2-0 and Ohtani got stranded going to third on a double. Could have been a few more.

Jill Blake
    Keymaster

As for Native American names…

I have a sort of nostalgia for the old team logos, but more because of the association I have with my childhood. Now they really make me cringe and I feel embarrassed for having that nostalgic feeling, if that makes sense.

I hate the chop and I wish they’d get rid of it. But the Braves have the support of the Cherokee Nation, Eastern Band (which in full transparency, Atlanta gives them A LOT of money), so I doubt they will get rid of it.

What’s funny is that the chop is only about 30 years old. Deion Sanders brought it with him from FSU.

But Atlanta has gotten better. The mascot used to be “Chief Knock-A-Homa” and there was a tee-pee in the outfield. Every time they hit a home, smoke signals would come out of it. *cringe*

Chris Mohan
    Participant

I certainly wasn’t criticising the movement to change the names and logos! 🙂 The franchises changing is the nature of American sports for me, and my distance geographical distance helps it not to matter as much to me. If a sports team name / branding was hurtful to a culture or demographic, I’m all for a change. I watched the Kanehsatake documentary last year and it was affecting in lots of ways.

@Jill
    there is a broadcaster here although back in the late 90s / early 2000s we had one of the national broadcasters who hosted a twice weekly live game which was brilliant. It’s just rebroadcast now but MLB.tv is a terrific service. The Cleveland thing was a combination of Major League and it being the first live game I watched on the national broadcaster. Moneybag will be an interesting movie to discuss as I went into a massive stats / sabermetric hole for many years which got me quite involved with the online Cleveland community, but the persistent late nights and young family put an end to that 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.