What Are You Watching?

Home Forums Public Forums General Discussion What Are You Watching?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Keymaster

We have a thread like this in Awards Season and I’ve enjoyed hearing what people are watching. Kicking one off in the public forums.

We’re in between Journeys (Modern Classics to Screwball Comedies), so I took a moment to catch up on documentaries. Up to episode 4 of The Dynasty about the New England Patriots, and also watching the Giannis documentary on Prime, which is more like background TV.

Last night I watched Stolen Youth: Inside the Cult at Sarah Lawrence. I love a good cult documentary, but this one hit me different. It was a smaller and more controlled group, and it’s just amazing to see such people find themselves becoming complicit. It’s harder to watch them try to reckon with their experiences afterward. This was a well done documentary, but also very sad in a way.

Joseph Petrucelli
    Participant

Watching Dune Part One tonight in preparation for Dune Part Two Thursday night! Hearing lots of praise, so I’m excited.

Also, definitely gonna revisit Bringing Up Baby and What’s Up Doc for the call on Sunday!

Christian Ortiz
    Participant

I have three Oscar movies left to watch before the show: Poor Things, American Fiction, and May/December.

Some recent watches:
    Duck Soup (solid to good with some truly hilarious turns)
    Navalny (more poignant than ever)
    Italianamerican (Wanted more food! but it was an enjoyable, personal doc)
    The Zone of Interest (astonishing)
    Burning (Steven Yeun breaks out!)

Aaron
    Keymaster

I watched Dune 2 on Monday, and I’ll spare my thoughts because we already recorded a podcast that will be out soon. I talked not only about the film, but also the theatrical experience. It should go up next week.

Rodney Wade
    Participant

Christian, I am watching Navalny today and going to follow it up with 20 days as a brutal doc double feature. I want to also catch Iron Claw, but may not get to it before the ceremony tomorrow night.

Aaron
    Keymaster

Watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse today. The first time it just did not hit me, and wanted to find a place where I was in the right frame of mind try again. Glad I did I because they really have some interesting ideas about genre and content structure. The second half was actually quite inventive and enjoyable.

Joseph Petrucelli
    Participant

The Criterion Channel has a new “Directed by Kinuyo Tanaka” collection. I had seen many of her performances but not any of the films she directed. I started with “Forever a Woman” and was blown away. It is strikingly feminist, emotionally affecting, and formally impressive. Tanaka’s journey to becoming a director is also very interesting and worth reading about. In a lot of ways, I was reminded of our viewing and discussion of Ida Lupino’s films.

Going through this collection feels like filling in a major gap in my journey through Japanese cinema. I hope there is a Tanaka box set on the horizon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.